Become a Music Mentor at the Atlanta Music Project
(for talented youth orchestra or choir students)
Volunteer basis, positions are available year-round
Statement of Job:
In alignment with the Atlanta Music Project (AMP) mission, the AMP Music Mentor will assist AMP or AMPlify Teaching Artists with group lessons, provide some one-on-one instruction and assist with rehearsals and concerts.
- Learn, understand and represent the AMP philosophies for uplifting youths, families and communities through the pursuit of musical excellence.
- Assist AMP or AMPlify Teaching Artists during group lessons
- Assist AMP or AMPlify students during rehearsals
- Participate AMP or AMPlify and concerts as needed
- Actively seek opportunities for AMP or AMPlify to collaborate with other organizations
- Coordinate and Cooperate with AMP or AMPlify administrators in keeping track of AMP students’ attendance and progress
- Form effective partnerships with fellow AMP Music Mentors
- Attend peer exchange/training workshops throughout the year
- Receive community service credits
- Perform with AMP or AMPlify students during concerts and on occasion perform for AMP or AMPlify students
Ideal Music Mentors will possess:
- Passion for music as a tool for positive social change
- Ability to inspire, work with and mentor youths ages 6 and up
- Ongoing membership in a local youth orchestra or choir
- Proficiency on one of the following instruments: violin, viola, cello, bass, flute, clarinet, trumpet, trombone, percussion, voice, guitar, drumset, bass guitar
- Excellent inter-personal skills and be comfortable working in a team
- Ability to adapt, be flexible and have a sense of humor
Notes: The AMP Music Mentor is a volunteer position. The successful candidate will commit to a minimum of 2-4 hours of service per month. 1 or 2-hour shifts are available Monday through Friday during after school hours. Background check required for those 17 years and up. Opportunities for paid summer position may become available.
Applications accepted year-round (not necessary for returning Music Mentors)
1) Email your resume to email@example.com with subject “Music Mentor.” Please be sure to specify whether you would like to mentor with AMP orchestral programs or with AMPlify, the choral program of the Atlanta Music Project.
2) In your email, include an answer to the following question: “Why do I want to volunteer for an El Sistema-inspired program?”